WASHINGTON â (CNN) Bernie Sanders said Friday that former President Bill Clintonâs past sexual misconduct was âtotally disgraceful and unacceptable.â
Appearing at a town hall in Toledo, Iowa, on Friday, Sanders responded to an attendee who said that Hillary Clinton isnât qualified to be president because or her support for her husband.
âLook, Hillary Clinton is not Bill Clinton,â Sanders said. âBut what Bill Clinton did was totally, totally, totally disgraceful and unacceptable. But I am running against Hillary Clinton, not Bill Clinton.â
Sanders added that this campaign should be about the issues, not Bill Clintonâs sex life.
âAnd I believe and I gotta say this, and I thank you for your question, in this sense, I think what we need to do as a nation, certainly something the Republicans are not doing, is focus on the bloody issues facing this country â the disappearance of the middle class income and wealth inequality,â Sanders said.
Related: Bill Clintonâs alleged sexual misconduct: Who you need to know
Bill Clintonâs past has resurfaced as an issue in Hillary Clintonâs presidential campaign after Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump made an effort in recent weeks to highlight the scandals of the 1990s. Hillary Clinton answered a question last month about her husbandâs alleged sexual impropriety, saying sexual abuse victims âshould be believedâ until evidence disproves their allegations.
Bill Clinton passed up an opportunity Thursday to hit back at Trump over recent attacks on the former presidentâs past infidelities.
âI have no interest in getting involved in (Republican Party) politics or doing anything except working to help Hillary,â Clinton told reporters in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
âDonald Trump says a lot of things,â he added dismissing the billionaire.
The-CNN-Wire ⹠& © 2016 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
(Photo: CNN)